Centre to provide discounts to push people to digital mode
- Discounts to be given for payments made digitally for fuel at petrol pumps, suburban railway services, insurance premiums and at toll plazas on national highways.
- Service tax, on digital transactions of up to Rs. 2,000, would be waived.
- Digital payments for petrol and diesel at government-run petrol pumps will get a discount of 0.75 per cent.
Parliament is being disrupted on the issue of demonetization
- Opposition is united and is not letting the Parliament function.
- The Winter Session of Parliament began on 16 November. On 8 December, both the houses met for 17th day but within minutes of commencing, both the were adjourned.
- Due to demonetization the groups hit the most are farmers like that of vegetable and sugarcane and they resorting to distress sale.
Simpler USSD for digital payments is being planned
- USSD is Unstructured Supplementary Service Data which is a Global System for Mobile (GSM) communication technology that is used to send text between a mobile phone and an application program in the network.
- Simpler USSD would help people with little, no or slow internet connectivity to undertake digital payments with ease.
Triple Talaq has been held unconstitutional by Allahabad high court
- Bench says Muslim law in the country are contrary to teachings of Quran and the Prophet.
- Constitution is supreme and over personal laws of any community.
- The court also said that this form of instant divorce is cruel and most demeaning which impedes and drags India from becoming a nation.
Uttarakhand HC directs the state government to impose liquor ban in three districts
- Judiciary in the domain of executive and policy making is called judicial encroachment and occurs when the government does not take timely and effective steps.
Group of Dawoodi bohra community have petitioned the UN to declare India be recognized as a country where female genital mutilation (FGM) is practiced
- FGM is a practice involving Female genital cutting and female circumcision which is a ritual removal of some or all of the external female genitalia.
- The practice is found in Africa, Asia and the Middle East,
- UNICEF estimated in 2016 that 200 million women in 30 countries including 27 African countries, Indonesia, Iraqi Kurdistan and Yemen had undergone the procedures.
- In India dawoodi Bohra community, a shia muslim community, FGM is practiced for religious beliefs.
- it is one of the worst form of cruelty on young girls.
Political solution to Rohingyas needed
- The Rohingyas belong to muslim community of Myanmar and are one of the most persecuted communities in the world.
- Although, they have been living in the state of Arakan, a part of Burma since the 8th century, they have been under extreme scrutiny by the Burmese government.
- They haven’t been recognised as citizens of The Union of Burma since the 1962 coup.
- After decades of oppression and marginalisation, the passing of the 1982 Citizenship Law deemed them officially stateless and have no voting rights.
- Would hit the productivity of the wheat crop.
- As per reports the rise of temperature by one degree would mean a loss of one quintal per hectare.
- Climate change is to affect the food security in the long run.