- SC has ordered setting of a constitution bench to check the validity of demonetization notification by the government.
- The 5 member bench is called a constitution bench.
- The move by the government is seen as unconstitutional on the various grounds by petitioners.
- The petitioners are of the view that the limited withdrawal is the violation of a person’s right to equality (article 14), violation of freedom of speech, trade, and occupation (article 19), violation of right to life and personal liberty (article 21) and is also violation of article 300A which ensures right to property.
- Insurgent group Hmar in Mizoram has surrendered arms before the state authorities.
- The Hmar People’s Convention (HPC-Democratic) is the another insurgent group to surrender in 2016 after Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagalim (NSCN- IM) had a peace accord with the government of India last year in August 2015.
- The normalcy in the north east region seems to be returning and AFSPA was also lifted from Tripura in 2015.
- Gujjars have given 7-day ultimatum to the Rajasthan government to provide them 5% reservation which was recently struck down by Rajasthan HC.
- The state government has moved the HC for suspending the judgment’s operation for a month.
- Gujjars have warned of a dharna at Jantar Mantar on January 15 if the issue is not resolved.
- The Jat agitation in Haryana in which the state was almost shut and burnt down with a total loss of 34,000 crores to North India can’t be forgotten. More than financial losses, the law and order breakdown had put the life and security of people at grave risk.
- Learning the Haryana lessons, the government of Rajasthan has to make all efforts to ensure that the similar incidents are not repeated and people at large are not affected. Hooliganism in the name of protest can’t be allowed and has to be handled with an iron hand.
- The majority of a state population can’t be put at ransom at the demands of the minorities.
- Despite the fears of low sowing due to demonetization, wheat sowing has increased by 7% to 256.19 lakh hectare for this winter season, as per the agriculture ministry.
- On a brighter side, in the same period, Pulses acreage has also increased to 131.80 lakh hectare, from 117 lakh hectare. Hope this brings the pulses price down in the harvesting season.
- Cyclone Vardah that hit the Tamilnadu coast was not all bad. After the cyclone, rice sowing is picking up in the state due to good rainfall in the areas.
- China has registered protest after Dalai Lama visited India for a function in Rastrapati Bhavan.
- It has also urged India to respect it’s core interest and avoid any disturbance in India-China relations by supporting and inviting any such person to whom China sees as a threat.
- Dalai Lama, the buddhist spiritual guru has been living in exile in India after fleeing Tibet in 1959.
- China has accused him of engaging in separatist activities in Tibet under the name of religion.
- India has countered Chinese stand as it sees Dalai Lama as a religious figure and not as a political one.
- The issue of Dalai Lama has been in news multiple times because of his visit to Arunachal Pradesh, Mongolia and also to USA recently.
- Connecting the dots of his visit shows that the visits have in the countries who don’t share good relations with China.
- China forgets Indian core interests when it supports Pakistan and terrorist Masood Azhar.