Agusta Westland Scam
- Ex-IAF chief S P Tyagi has been held by CBI in Agusta Westland case.
- In February 2010, the Congress led UPA government signed a government contract with UK-based Agusta Westland to buy 12 helicopters for Indian Air Force to fly VVIPs like the president, prime minister and others for Rs 3,600 crore.
- In 2013, CEO of Agusta Westland was arrested on charges of bribing middlemen to acquire the deal with Indian Air Force.
- Early in 2014, the Italian court investigating the scam named former chief of the IAF, SP Tyagi in the scam, stating that he was bribed by Finmeccanica, the parent company of Agusta westland to sign the deal with Agusta Westland.
Indefinite Economic blockade in Manipur
- Manipur is facing an indefinite economic blockade imposed by the united naga council(UNC) since November 1, 2016.
- Manipur’s apex Naga organisation, United Naga Council (UNC) has enforced a blockade on national highways 2 and 53 since November 1 protesting the congress Okram Ibobi Singh government’s move to upgrade Sadar Hills and Jiribam to full-fledged districts without consulting the Nagas. The areas are Kukis (tribesmen) dominated.
- While the UNC is attacking goods laden vehicles headed to Meitei majority Imphal valley, the Meitei groups are preventing vehicles from moving to the hills where the Nagas live.
- The blockades have caused an acute shortage of essential items in both the valley and the hills
Boko Haram terror in Nigeria
- 30 killed in Boko Haram suicide attack in Nigeria.
- Boko Haram is a terrorist organization of Nigeria which promotes a version of Islam which makes it haram or forbidden,for Muslims to take part in any political or social activity associated with Western society.
- This includes voting in elections, wearing shirts and trousers or receiving a secular education
- In April 2014, Boko Haram drew international condemnation by abducting more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok town in Borno state and sold them off as slaves and married them off to the jihadists.
India Bangladesh relations
- Centre state tension is affecting international relations as well.
- Sheikh Hasina has cancelled her trip to India due to the tensions between Mamata and PM Modi.
- She needs water from river Teesta which flows from West Bengal and a deal with India can’t be peacefully executed without Mamata’s support.
South Korean President impeached
- South Korean President has been impeached for serious constitutional violations after her name was found in corruption scandals and forcing multinational companies to fund two foundations set up to back her policy initiatives.
On a humorous note
- Rahul Gandhi has promised an earthquake in Parliament if he is allowed to speak on the issue of demonetization.
- If he stays awake in the parliament, he can ofcourse speak, and if he speaks, he puts other MPs to sleep!